Friday 21 November 2014

Welcome to my Blog




I am an artist based in Seaton Sluice, Northumberland. Here are a couple of my paintings to show a small range of the work I do. Some of it reflects where I live and others are based on nature and medieval/historical/mythological themes. But my work will soon take a new path, a rather high one.

After one look at the round ceiling of our nearly newly acquired octagonal minicastle , ie, we're still waiting for the keys, I decided a mural was needed. (Pics to follow once got keys.) So once its fully bought I'm about to embark on a ceiling mural interspersed with the odd bout of renovation of the rest of this wonderfully quirky building. In fact most of the rest of the renovation of the house will require scaffolding. So wish me luck as I don't like heights.  
No experience of doing a ceiling mural before so currently reading up.

Firstly, the guttering and drainage on the castle roof needs sorting. No point in painting a ceiling if the damp can get in. The roof is watertight but the drainpipe is blocked. More like a paddling pool up there surrounded by crennellations and an amazing view of the sea.

If you want to know the ups and downs of doing a ceiling mural follow further blogs.

Some images to follow but will keep my mural design a secret until it is finished.

You can see more of my work on my website www.rose-dimascio.co.uk or follow updates on Facebook.
 These aquilegias were painted in gouache. They seem to multiply in the garden like rabbits but I'm not complaining as I love them.


This is a statue at Delaval Hall near Seaton Sluice prior to renovation. It represents one of the Arts. Not sure which one. Painted in acrylics. You had to look up at them from the floor when I did this but soon you will be able to look them in the eye when a new viewing arrangement is constructed. I do like the rough, surreal look with all the cracks and damage showing from  weathering when the roof of the Hall was a bit lacking. Looking at them from below gives them a more threatening, out of reach aura. I hope the new viewing arrangements and restoration do not detract from this unreachable feeling of mystery.

Incidentally, our mini castle in Seaton Sluice, the Tower House, is allegedly designed by Vanbrugh who designed Delaval Hall, Blenheim Palace and Castle Howard in the 18th Century. There is little evidence of this but it does date from the same period. Continue to the following part of this blog for more on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment